Become A Substitute
Teachers – and students – need you!
Are you looking for flexible work hours? Would you like to support teachers? Do you want to have a positive impact on students? Become a substitute teacher. You’ll be a hero to teachers and students.
You don’t need special training or superpowers to become a substitute teacher, the only requirements for substitute teachers in Idaho are:
- A belief that all kids have promise and potential
- A desire to have a positive impact on students and to support teachers
- A belief in charter schools and support for school choice
- A flexible schedule during normal school hours
- A clear criminal background history check
- At least a high school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years of age
How many charter schools need substitute teachers?
There are 57 charter schools in Idaho, serving nearly 22,000 students and employing roughly 2,100 people. Most charter schools need substitute teachers throughout the school year.
ICSN has created a charter school substitute teaching pool with twelve charter schools statewide, in both the Treasure Valley and Southeast Idaho.
Treasure Valley Schools:
- Anser Charter School
- Compass Public Charter School
- Future Public School
- Gem Prep: Meridian
- Gem Prep: Nampa
- Heritage Community Charter
- Idaho Arts Charter School
- North Star Charter School
- Rolling Hills Public Charter School
- Sage International School of Boise
Southeast Idaho Schools:
Visit the websites of charter schools that are not participating in the ICSN substitute pool as they may have varied positions and pay rates.
Substitute teaching applications are accepted year-round.
What is the pay for a substitute teacher?
Charter schools pay substitute teachers a wage competitive with their surrounding districts. Subs will generally be paid in full-day (over 4 hours) or half-day (4 hours or less) increments, and are paid monthly by each individual school. Check with each school for more details, as they may have varied positions and pay rates.
I'm excited, how do I apply?
- Complete the Online Substitute Application. Please be sure to include all relevant experience and/or volunteer experience.
- Applicants will be notified via email of their selection and provided fingerprinting and other instructions within two weeks.
- Selected applicants will be required to:
• Get fingerprinted.
• Complete a criminal background history check.
• Submit a check of $27.00 made out to Idaho State Department of Education along with your fingerprinting forms.
- The process to be approved to substitute can take some time. Click here to view a map of the application process.
Remember, you cannot work in a school until this has been completed.
Visit individual charter school websites for schools that are not participating in the ICSN substitute pool as they may have varied positions and pay rates.
What is a criminal history background check?
All substitute teachers must undergo a criminal history background check before being allowed to work in a school. You will be fingerprinted and a check will be run through three agencies: the FBI, the Idaho Bureau of Criminal Identification, and the Statewide Sex Offender’s Registry. You will not be approved to work as a substitute teacher until we receive a clear criminal history.
The Idaho State Department of Education performs criminal history background checks for all public schools. The cost is $27.00 and is paid by check to Idaho State Department of Education.
Criminal history background checks must be completed every five years.
Three forms are needed for fingerprinting. These will be mailed to you when you are selected as a substitute teacher for the ICSN substitute pool. The process takes approximately 10 business days and the cost is $10.00.
Treasure Valley Fingerprinting Locations:
- Bureau of Criminal Identification
Idaho State Police Building
700 S. Stratford Dr.
Meridian, ID 83642
Southeast Idaho Fingerprinting Locations:
- Bannock County Sheriff’s Office
5800 S 5th Ave.
Pocatello, ID 83205
- Chubbuck Police Department
5160 Yellowstone Ave.
Chubbuck, ID 83202
- Idaho Falls Police Records
Main Floor of Idaho Falls Police Department
605 North Capital Ave.
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
- Pocatello Police Department
911 N. Seventh Ave.
Pocatello, ID 83206
Hooray! I've been approved as a substitute teacher. Now what?
Once you have been approved as a substitute teacher, you will receive a welcome email from ReadySub, our online substitute management tool. Log in and get started by accepting positions right away!
ReadySub will also provide you with a Quick Start Guide which will take you through the 5-step setup process and prepare you to accept your first job! You can also view a more in-depth Substitute User Guide and a short Getting Started Video for Substitutes.
How should I prepare for my first assignment?
- Study the charter school’s website so you have a good understanding of their mission, educational focus and culture.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early for any substitute job so that you have plenty of time to get acquainted with the school and complete hiring paperwork.
- Bring two forms of identification such as a driver’s license and social security card, and a voided check to set up direct deposit.
- Complete I-9 and W-4 forms for any school that is new to you.
- Bring your enthusiasm and belief that all kids have promise and potential!